Forty Something... | Life Love and Hiccups: Forty Something...
Life Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and Hiccups

Tuesday 10 June 2014

Forty Something...

Pin It


I sat up late on Sunday night, curled up in a fluffy blanket on the couch. All my boys were tucked up snug in bed, the dogs were at my feet and my poor tired husband snoring away on the floor next to the heater. 

I was clock watching, slowly counting down the final minutes of my fortieth year and the beginning of the forty first. It seemed only fitting to see out this past year in the same way I began it 12 months ago in a villa in Bali. And so I quietly watched the clock and reflected upon the year that just was and the year that lies ahead.


There were no great epiphanies to be had this time. Clearly they were last year's thing. 

This time there was an overwhelming gratitude for all that the past year has blessed me with. 

It has been an awesome year and in hindsight forty has been pretty freaking fabulous. I am excited for what lies ahead and for what is yet to come. 

There is definitely a sense of peace that comes with knowing that whilst I do not yet completely understand where I am headed, I somehow just know that I am on the right path. It allows me to just sort of relax into this ageing thing.




The actual day of my birthday could only be described as perfection as far as birthdays go in my opinion. 

A late sleep in followed by the most scrummy my of brekkies in bed. Huge boisterous cuddles with my precious boys and hubby, family and friends calling in throughout the day with the most thoughtful of gifts and a public holiday that could NOT have been timed more perfectly.




I’m not going to lie and tell you I am comfortable with the number I have turned. Forty just sounds so .... oldish. But then any number that doesn't start with a twenty or a thirty sounds kinda oldish to me as I am still that fresh faced naive young18 year old in mind. 

I always will be. 

I am aware however that it is just a number, and every number you get to turn is a gift that many are denied. And so I shall embrace it, I will wear it proud and I shall rock the crap out of it.

Forty set the bar high, like really high. Forty one has some pretty big boots to fill.

Bring it on! I'm ready.

How was your weekend?
Whens your birthday?