My Favourite 'I'm So Lazy & Can't Be Assed' Go To Meal | Life Love and Hiccups: My Favourite 'I'm So Lazy & Can't Be Assed' Go To Meal
Life Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and Hiccups

Wednesday 23 October 2013

My Favourite 'I'm So Lazy & Can't Be Assed' Go To Meal

Pin It
Whoever said that cheaters never win - I say Pfffttt to you in this case. 

I am such a lazy cook, really truly sooooo lazy, so if I can find an easy way to whack a meal together than man I will be so onto it in a flash.

One of the things my gang love to scoff is a really tasty chicken and veggie pie but I can never find a ready made one in the grocery store. Probably because they are just so darn easy to make that no one would want to buy them ... except for lazy cooks like me.

The kids begging for chicken pie was relentless and so I found myself in a position where I was forced to google recipes that I could *shudder* make. 

I tried a few which were ok-ish but them one day BAM, I came upon this cracker from my old buddy Martha Stewart... the REAL Martha Stewart. 

This was such an easy slap bang recipe to start with, but then me being me had to go and fiddle with it until I could cook it up with half the effort.

You don't need any fancy pie dishes like the ones Martha recommends. This pie is not all about looking pretty... at least not my version of it. It's a good simple solid meal that my kids devour and ask for more... and more ... and more. 

You get the point.

So what do you need to make 2 chicken pies. Trust me - you'll want 2

First up you need a vodka, soda and lime. I mean if you are so inclined. Once your re-hydration situation is under control, you'll need to either scout around your fridge for the following ingredients or send someone to the shops for;
2 diced carrots
2-3 sliced spring onions
2 med potatoes diced
1 small parsnip diced
500gm of diced chicken thigh
1/2 cup of white wine
1 and 1/2 cups of chicken stock
3 sprigs of thyme
5 teaspoons of corn flour
1/2 cup cream
1 beaten egg
4 sheets of Puff Pastry
Preheated oven 180 degrees

Step 1: Take a sip of your drink and then start chopping baby. Dice everything up oo la chunky style.

Step 2: Prepare your thickening agent (pfft what a wank) by whisking your corn flour with 2 tablespoons of water.

Step 3: Brown your chicken and set aside

Step 4: Saute your veggies until they are soft (about 10 minutes usually)

Step 5: Add the wine to the veggies and simmer until it reduces by about half and then add your stock.
Bring it all to a boil and then add your chicken and thyme.
Cook together for a few more minutes before adding you cornflour mix and cream.
Cook it all for about 5 more minutes or until it all thickens up and then set it aside to cool down.

OK now I know it doesn't look real good at this stage, but just take another sip of your drink and stay with me alright.

Step 6: Lay out two separate sheets of Puff Pastry onto a baking tray lined with baking paper (it saves on cleaning up). Divide your mixture between the two sheets.

Step 7: Spread the mixture out leaving about an inch from the edge.

Step 8: Lay another sheet of Puff Pastry on top and fold / pinch the top and bottom edges together to create a parcel.



Step 9: Slosh on some whisked up egg to make the pastry go brown and crispy and stab a whole lot of holes all over the top with a fork.

Step 10: Bake it in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.

Seriously - how easy and painless is that. Now sit back, enjoy that drink and soak up all the praise your family lays on you.

You are SO welcome ;)


What's your favorite 'I'm so lazy and can't be assed' go to meal?

So I'm a Little Materialistic - You OK With That?
The Great Tooth Fairy Rawt