Rainbow Connect | Life Love and Hiccups: Rainbow Connect
Life Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and Hiccups

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Rainbow Connect

Pin It

When I mentioned the 'Rainbow Connect' ritual I have with my boys in yesterday's post, a few of you asked what it is - and I am more than happy to share that with you.

When my oldest son Kai was about 3, I was doing a lot of travel for my work. I'd get on a plane on Sunday night and arrive back home on Friday afternoon. I would do this for a month, then have a couple of precious weeks break from the travelling ... and then rinse and repeat, yada yada yada, we would start all over again.

Every Sunday there would be lots of tears from both my beautiful boy and myself, and every week as I wiped away his tears and kissed him goodbye, my heart would shatter into a million pieces.

I remember one particular Saturday night as I was saying goodnight to Kai, he asked me "Are you going away again tomorrow Mummy?"

When I answered "yes", he started sobbing and wouldn't stop.

So I told him that we could connect our hearts with an invisible rainbow that can stretch to the moon and back and back again. No matter how far away we are from each other, through that rainbow we would always be connected and can send lots of love to each other whenever we feel sad or lonely.

He liked that and it gave us both of us some much needed comfort when it came time to say goodbye. The last thing we would do before I left was touch each others heart with our finger and say "Rainbow Connect".

When Kai started school we used the rainbow to connect to each other and to connect him to Daddy and his little brothers - that way he could get loads of love from us all whenever he needed it whilst he was at school.

As the little boys got older they too learnt how to rainbow connect and we still do it now when they leave for school in the morning or for a sleep over at a friend's house.

We have adapted it so that they don't feel embarrassed if they want to do it when saying goodbye to me in front of their friends. There are no words needed to make the connection work, we silently touch our own hearts with our finger and then point that finger to the others heart and just like that, the rainbow magically connects us.

So that my friends is a Rainbow Connect and although I am aware that it may sound completely out there, strange even, it is a ritual that saw us through some tough times and continues to be very special to our family.